Hamilton County Recorder
The Office of the County Recorder was created by the First Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Iowa in 1839. Since the creation of the County Recorder's office, numerous additional responsibilities have been added over the years.
The County Recorder is responsible for land and records management, maintaining and recording a wide variety of official documents affecting real estate and numerous other valuable miscellaneous documents. The office collects real estate transfer tax for the Iowa Department of Revenue and collects and reports the County Auditor's fee on transfer of property.
The Recorder's office serves as a licensing agent for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources by issuing fishing and hunting licenses, and registering and titling boats, snowmobiles, and ORV's.
As of July, 1997 the Recorder's office is the County Registrar of Vital Records and has the responsibility of issuing Marriage Licenses, registering Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates and issuing certified copies of Vital Records.
The Recorder's duties are defined by state statutes and established by state agencies through administrative actions. The County Recorder works with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Iowa Department of Revenue and the Iowa Department of Public Health. Detailed reports are filed monthly and annually to the county and to the state agencies.
Lands & Records Management
Your recorder/registrar is responsible for recording your:
- Deeds, Contracts, Bills of Sale
- Mortgages, Assignments, Releases
- Federal & State Tax Liens
- Plats & Surveys, Section Corner Certificates
- Military Service Records
- Trade Names
- 28E Agreements, Drainage Agreements
- Articles of Incorporation
- . . . . . plus numerous other documents
Licenses, Registrations & Applications
Your recorder/registrar is responsible for issuing or selling:
- Boat, Snowmobile & ATV Registrations/Titles/Liens
- Hunting, Fishing & Fur Harvester Licenses
- Habitat, Trout & Duck Stamps
- Deer & Wild Turkey Licenses
- Landowner/Tenant Gun & Archery Permits
- Boundary Water Trotline License
- Ginseng Harvest/Grower License
- Bait Dealer License
- Taxidermy License
For more information see Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Collects real estate transfer tax on conveyance of property, a portion of which is retained in you county's general fund.
- Performs federal and state tax lien searches and research of records for the public
- Collects and reports auditor's fee on transfer of property
- Certifies recorder's records
- Makes records available for genealogy research
- File detailed reports monthly and annually to the county and state agencies